The personal data collected during the visit to our website will be processed based on legal provisions effective in the country where the website is operated and managed.
The privacy and security of your personal data is very important to us. The purpose of this Privacy Notice is to transparently provide you with information about:
- Who is processing your personal data
- Why the processing of your personal data is important for us
- What kind of personal data do we process
- When we process your personal data and
- Your rights concerning the processing of your personal data
1. Contact Details
Olympus Professional Education website (in the following „our website“) is provided by Olympus Corporation (in the following „ Olympus “, „we“, „us“)
Shinjuku Monolith, 3-1 Nishi-Shinjuku 2-chome, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 163-0914, Japan
Phone:+81 3 3340 2111
2. General Information about the Processing of Your Data
Personal data is only collected and processed by us (1) if it is necessary to provide a functional and convenient website and/or (2) to provide you with our contents and services.
This privacy notice explains an explanation of why we process your personal data, and a description of what situations we will process your personal data.
Unless your prior consent is given or unless permitted by law, Olympus will use the personal information provided by you for the purposes listed Chapter 3.
Your personal data will be stored until the purpose of storage no longer applies. In some cases, laws or other regulations or contracts to which we are subject prescribe a longer or shorter storage period. Once the personal data is no longer needed to fulfill any of the identified purposes within this notice, Olympus will delete the personal data. Further details about this process can be found below.
3. Processing of Your Data
3.1 Visiting our Website and the Creation of Logfiles
Every time you visit our website, our system automatically collects data and information from your computer system. We collect the following data:
- IP address
- Browser type/version
- Operating system
- Date and time of access
This data is also stored in the log files of our system.
The aforementioned data is not stored together with other personal data. The storage in log files therefore supports the functionality of the website. We also use this data to optimize our website and improve the security of our information technology systems. The data will not be used for marketing purposes in this context.
The data is stored as long as it is necessary to achieve the purpose for its collection. If data is required for the functionality of the website, this data will be deleted after the respective session has ended. If the data is stored in log files, this is the case after 52 weeks at the latest.
If the aforementioned data is stored for a longer period, however, your log files will be deleted in this case. The collection of data for the provision of the website and the storage of data in log files is absolutely necessary for the operation of the website.
To register for our website, you have to fill in an input mask. In general, we use the so-called double-opt-in procedure if you want to register for our website. This means that after your registration we will send you an e-mail to your provided e-mail address, in which we ask you to confirm that you indeed wish to register for our website. If you do not confirm your registration within 24 hours or other time period, your information will be blocked and automatically deleted at the same time. In addition, we store your IP address and date of registration and confirmation. The purpose of this procedure is to prove your registration and, if necessary, to clarify a possible misuse of your personal data.
The inserted data are transmitted to us and stored by us and a personal information page on our website will be created for you. The following data are collected during the registration process:
- First name
- Last name
- Title (voluntary)
- Year when you obtained a medical license or a healthcare professional license
- E-mail address
- Telephone (voluntary)
- Primary Hospital / Clinic
- Country / Region
- Area of professional interest
In the registration process, if you tick “Yes” for the “Please confirm your interest in receiving notification when new content is available.”, you can receive notification regarding to new content.
We assigned DENTSU INC. with the hosting service.
We use your data to:
- send you important information about our website, changes in policies, terms, or conditions, or other important information.
- provide our services to you and use services and vendors that may enable us to provide services to you, such as website hosting, data analysis, IT services, customer service, infrastructure provision, email delivery, auditing, and any other reasonable use.
- enhance our website, improve our services and products, identify usage trends, conduct marketing or data aggregation, analyze and manage our businesses, conduct audits of our website, determine the effectiveness of advertising and promotional campaigns, tailor our website and content based on your previous activities on our websites, determine customer satisfaction.
- provide customer service and troubleshoot in connection with customer issues.
- identify you to anyone to whom you send messages through our website.
- enter into a corporate reorganization, merger, acquisition, transfer, joint venture, sale, assignment, or consolidation; to enter into special relationships and strategic partnerships; and to dispose of all or any portion of our assets, including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceeding.
- comply with applicable laws worldwide; to respond to requests for information from public and government authorities; to enforce our terms and conditions; to protect our businesses and operations and those of our affiliates; to protect our rights, property, privacy, or safety and that of our affiliates, you or others; and to allow us to defend our interests, pursue remedies, or limit the damages that we may incur.
- pursue the purposes specified under the policy related to cookies and other technologies.
Olympus may forward information provided by you to Olympus' group companies, so that such parties may directly inform our contents.
You can delete your data at any time (refer to the Chapter 4).
3.3 Contacting us through E-Mail
If you contact us by sending an e-mail, the personal data transmitted with your e-mail.
E-mail address: ProfEd_website_Admin@ot.olympus.co.jp
We process personal data from emails for the treatment of the establishment of contact. Olympus may forward information provided by you to Olympus' group companies, so that such parties may directly respond to your inquiries or requests.
We delete your data as soon as it is no longer necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was collected. This case occurs, if the respective correspondence with you is terminated. Correspondence is terminated when it is obvious that the questions/reasons for sending the message have been finally clarified. Personal data additionally collected during the sending process will be deleted after a period of seven days at the latest.
You can revoke your consent to the processing of personal data at any time. If you contact us by e-mail, you can object to the storage of your personal data at any time. In this case, however, we will not response to your message.
4. Termination for Olympus Professional Education- Accounts
You can withdraw your consent for the service registered for at any time and with future effect by logging into the page of “Personal information” on our website and choosing “Withdraw”. Please note that with this step all information connected with your account will also be deleted.
5. Your Rights
We want to inform you about your rights concerning the processing of your personal data by us. If you have any questions concerning your rights or if you want to exercise one or several of your rights against us please send us an e-mail to ProfEd_website_Admin@ot.olympus.co.jp
5.1 Right to withdraw the data protection declaration of consent
In case that the processing of your data by us is based on your explicit consent, you have the right to withdraw this consent at any time. The withdrawal of consent shall not affect the legality of the processing carried out on the basis of the consent until withdrawal. You will be informed about this right before you give your consent.
You can withdraw your consent at any time (refer to the Chapter 4).
5.2 Right to information
You have the right to request confirmation from us as to whether we process personal data concerning you. If this is the case, you have a right to information about these personal data and you can see your personal data on the page of “Personal information” on our website.
5.3 Right to correction
You can request us to correct any incorrect data concerning you without delay. Taking into account the purposes of the processing, you also have the right to request the completion of incomplete personal data - also by means of a supplementary declaration.
Basically, you can correct your personal data on the page of “Personal information” on our website.
5.4 Right to cancellation
You have the right to request the immediate deletion of your data if one of the following reasons applies:
- data is no longer necessary for the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed,
- you withdraw your consent on which the processing was based and there is no other legal basis for the processing,
- the data have been processed unlawfully,
- the deletion of data is necessary to fulfil a legal obligation under national law
We will comply with the request for deletion, unless we are legally obliged or entitled to continue storing and processing your data. In particular, legal retention periods are considered as legal obligations.
You can delete your data at any time (refer to the Chapter 4).
5.5 Notification Obligation regarding Rectification or Erasure of Personal Data
We are obliged to inform all recipients to whom your data have been disclosed about a correction or deletion of your data or a restriction of the processing. This shall not apply if it is impossible or involves a disproportionate effort. We will inform you about these recipients if you so request.
5.6 Right to data transferability
You have the right to receive the data concerning you that you have provided to us in a structured, common and machine-readable format. You also have the right to instruct us with the transmission of your data to a third party, provided that
- the processing of the data is based on your consent or on a contract and
- processing is carried out using automated methods.
- you oppose to the processing pursuant to Article 21 para. 1 GDPR for reasons arising from your particular situation and there are no overriding legitimate grounds for processing,
- you oppose to the processing for direct marketing in accordance with Article 21 para. 2 GDPR,
- the data were collected in relation to an offer of information society services directly to a child provided in accordance with Article 8 para. 1 GDPR.
- you dispute the accuracy of your data until we are able to verify its accuracy,
- the processing is unlawful and you refuse to delete your data and instead request that the use of personal data be restricted,
- we no longer need the data for the purposes of processing, but you do need them to assert, exercise or defend legal claims, or
- you object to the processing pursuant to Article 21 para. 1 GDPR for reasons arising from your particular situation, as long as it is not yet clear whether the legitimate reasons for the processing by us outweigh your interests.
You can see your personal data on the page of “Personal information” on our website.
6. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
This chapter provides information on the security of users' personal data, which is required according to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Please contact our controller(s) using the following details:
Shinjuku Monolith, 3-1 Nishi-Shinjuku 2-chome, Shinjuku-ku
Phone:+81 3 3340 2111.
Representative of Controller
Please contact our representative in the union as follows:
Olympus Europa SE & Co. KG
Phone: +49 40 23773-0
Fax: +49 40 233765
6.2 Legal ground
The legal ground for the processing personal data (we assign in Chapter 3) is as follows.
Visiting our Websites and the Creation of Logfiles(3.1)
The legal ground for the temporary storage of data and log files is Article 6 para. 1 lit. f GDPR.
Registration for Training(3.2)
If you give your consent, the legal basis for processing the data is Article 6 para. 1 a) GDPR. Furthermore, processing your data is required for pre-contractual obligations, hence Article 6 para. 1 b) and f) GDPR serve as an additional legal basis because the processing of your data is necessary for the registration process.
Contacting us through E-Mail (3.3)
Regarding the processing of your data through sending us an email the legal basis is also Article 6 para. 1 lit. f GDPR, as we have a legitimate interest to process these data.
6.3 Transfer of Personal Data to Third Countries
As mentioned above in Chapter 3 we assign certain services to other companies. These companies may also be based in third countries outside the EU. In such cases your data will be processed in these third countries therefore we explain in the following table which services are assigned to these companies, where they are based and which legal requirements allow us to assign these companies with the processing of your data:
|Process||Third Party||Third Country||Legal Ground|
|Hosting service||DENTSU INC.||Japan||Explicit consent, Art. 49 GDPR|
6.4 Rights of the data subject
6.4.1 Article 15 Right of access by the data subject
Please refer to “5.2 Right to information”
6.4.2 Article 16 Right to rectification
Please refer to “5.3 Right to correction”
6.4.3 Article 17 Right to erasure ('right to be forgotten')
You have the right to request the immediate deletion of your data if one of the following reasons applies:
We are entitled to continued storage if we are unable to assert, exercise or defend legal claims without your data.
If we have made your data public and are obliged to delete it, we will take appropriate measures, taking into account the available technology and the implementation costs, to inform those responsible if you have also requested the deletion from them.
6.4.4 Article 18 Right to restriction of processing
In accordance with Article 18 GDPR, we may only process data to a limited extent in the following cases:
If processing has been restricted, we may only store this data. Any further processing in such case is only permissible with your consent or for the purpose of asserting, exercising or defending legal claims or protecting the rights of another natural or legal person or on grounds of an important public interest of the Union or a Member State. You can revoke your consent given in this connection at any time. You will be notified by us before the restriction is lifted.
6.4.5 Article 19 Notification obligation regarding rectification or erasure of personal data or restriction of processing
Please refer to “5.5 Notification Obligation regarding Rectification or Erasure of Personal Data”
6.4.6 Article 20 Right to data portability
Please refer to “5.6 Right to data transferability”
6.4.7 Article 21 Right to object
If we process your data on the basis of a legitimate interest (Article 6 para. 1 lit. f GDPR), you have the right to object to this if the reasons for this arise from your particular situation. This also applies to profiling based on these provisions.
In this case, we will no longer process your data unless we can prove compelling reasons worthy of protection for the processing. This must outweigh your interests, rights and freedoms, or processing serves to assert, exercise or defend legal claims.
If we process your data for direct marketing purposes, you may object to the processing of your data. This also applies to profiling insofar as it is connected with such direct advertising.
After your objection, your data will no longer be processed for these purposes.
6.4.8 Article 22 Automated individual decision-making, including profiling
On our websites, your data is not subject of decisions made exclusively on the basis of automated processing (e.g. profiling). You have the right not to be subject to a decision based exclusively on automated processing - including profiling - if this has legal effect against you or significantly impairs it in a similar manner.
6.4.9 Article 77 Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority
You have the right to complain to a supervisory authority, European General Data Protection Regulation, if you consider that the processing of data concerning you is not compliant with the GDPR.. Other administrative or judicial remedies that you may be entitled to remain unaffected.
8. Notice regarding Hosting
Our website is hosted by hosting services providers which observe state-of-the-art data protection and data security standards.
Last modified: 4/1/2019